Hey sprinkle lovers!
We're back with the ultimate easy, but delicious, sprinkle chocolate chip cookie recipe we're loving at the moment. It's been a much needed isolation baking treat here in lockdown. Seriously, this is the cookie recipe you need right now!
OK, so other recipes that call for creaming butter, etc give pretty great results, but right now we're all about quick, easy, one bowl recipes that don't require us to get out an electric mixer. Heck, you can make these with a toddler clinging onto your leg whinging and moaning (tested and proved) or supervise your kids making them without having a complete meltdown!
BAKING WITH SPRINKLES
Just a note on what sprinkles to use in baking. We recommend using jimmies or confetti sequin sprinkles in baking, as the tiny nonpareils (100's and 1000's) tend to dissolve and don't give the rainbow studded look you are after. Our Rainbow Jimmies are what we used here.
In wetter doughs or batters like cakes, cupcakes, pancakes or waffles, it is helpful to add them right before cooking, mixing them through quickly and gently. You can also try tossing them in a little bit of cornflour first to help them stay even distributed and in shape.
The process is pretty standard for making these cookies but we need to do a shout out to our favourite cookie tool - the ice cream/cookie scoop. The squeeze handle means the dough balls pop out easily onto your tray and you don't need to spend time rolling the balls by hand. Win! They are also the perfect scoop size for cupcake batter as well. You'll find them at all good cake decorating shops or department stores.
- 170g butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips/drops/chopped chocolate
- 1/2 cup Rainbow Jimmies sprinkles
- Sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Line two baking trays.
2. Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Once melted, whisk in brown and white sugar until combined.
3. Next whisk in the egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
4. Sift in the flour and baking soda then mix with a spatula until just combined. Evenly mix through the chocolate chips and sprinkles.
5. Use an ice cream/cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop the dough onto lined baking trays.They spread a bit so no need to flatten them. Space 3 inches apart.
6. For added fun, dip each dough ball into a bowl of rainbow jimmies so they are extra colourful on top. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt too if you like .
7. Bake for about 10 mins or until starting to turn golden. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!